Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Finding Spirit in the Financial Crisis

I've been running into this topic for the past week. I cannot claim to be the most informed person in the world. I am always not up to date about current events in whatever aspect of life except if it's about the Church. Yes, I probably am a self-proclaimed recluse. But there are reasons and the reasons have helped me realize that it is okay to keep being a recluse as long as I don't become indifferent to the movement of life that I affect around me or are being affected by something I can help alleviate. So I look up once in a while or open my eyes from the moments of contemplative-active living to see what and how everybody is getting along.

I ran into a Facebook Note from my friend Anjani all the way from Holland entitled Global Economic Crisis: A Historic Opportunity for Transformation. and I immediately took note of the word transformation. After having recently attended a forum at the Asian Institute of Management that nitpicked and fed our brains on the causes of this crisis and what one can do to survive it, there was no mention on how it actually is an opportunity for global transformation. Looking at this global crisis in that manner now has moved me to take part of the opportunity of being transformed myself. Hence, keeping myself informed and involved with everything that's got to do with it including how the Church thinks.

In this article I saw in my cousin Pat's blog, he pointed that what endures through all crisis is God.

After all the intellectual debacle of expert economists, politicians, businessmen, housewives or even farmers, in the end there will be no formula for overcoming a depression except the united mindset of goodwill amongst men. Where does all good begin? God. For non-Christians it's begins with other things maybe but the idea of holding on to a collective unifying force greater than all of mankind's capability always arises in the face of all challenges that seem impossible to overcome.

I find it interesting that even the Pope has something affirming to say about what's been troubling corporate giants. It's a comforting thought that even through the stonehearted walls of money making machines, the Spirit finds its way to breath life.

No comments: