Friday, October 31, 2008

Paulo Coelho in Filipino

A chat with Katchig Mouradin yesterday taught me to find my treasure in my own backyard. It is true. Most Filipinos seldom find value in their own country. The glitter of far away lands is too gravitational a pull that we find ourselves scattered all over the place without any true anchor to a home. To an identity.

Thus the ever pervading struggle of the Filipino to remain authentic. But authentic to what nature? The answer escapes me because sadly even I cannot truly say what nature is this. However, there is no struggle born without a good fight. And I suppose that is what I know of each and every Filipino that's walked their lives parallel to the nation's history. The fact that every Filipino is born with a warrior's heart.

So here's my little attempt to do some weeding in my own little garden. Learning to love the tongue of my motherland as it helps me understand deeper the truths conveyed by an author who knows the authentic nature of his soul and moves to arouse authenticity in others.

__________

A true warrior of light knows that every garden has its own mysteries, which only the patient hand of the gardener can unravel. (Paulo Coelho's Quote for October 30)

Ang totoong Mandirigma ng Liwanag alam na ang mga hardin ay may kanya-kanyang misterio na ang masipag at pasensyong hardinero lang ang nakaka-intindi.

_____

So it seems that we are living in a culture of fear.

Before it was the terrorist attacks and now we see this economic crisis that engulfs the whole world.

My point is that we understand less and less what is happening. Personally, the more I read about this crisis the more I get lost.

Not only that: I’m reading about Pakistan, Afghanistan, Irak and the Middle East and it seems that people are losing control. When this happens we see the rise of a culture of fear. And this is what I want you to share: do you feel we are living a moment where fear is being used against us?

Don’t you have the feeling that besides our personal fear, there’s an atmosphere of doubt that is imposing this world of crisis to us? (Paulo Coelho on the Culture of Fear)

Namumuhay tayo sa isang kultura ng pangangamba.

Dati puro mga attack ng terrorista ngayon naman nakikita natin ang crisis sa economy ng buong mundo.

Ang punto ko ay paunti ng paunti ang naiintindihan natin sa mga nangyayari. Sa totoo lang para sa kin, habang parami ng parami ang nababasa ko, mas lalo akong nalilito.

Hindi lang yun: nagbabasa ako tungkol sa Pakistan, Afghanistan, Irak at ang Middle East at mukhang nawawalan ng control ang mga tao. Pag-nangyayari ito lalong gumagrabe ang pangangamba. Pero ito ang gusto ko malaman sa inyo: sa tingin niyo ba na namumuhay tayo sa panahon na kung saan ang ating pangangaba ay ginagagamit para mas-takutin pa tayo?

Hindi niyo ba napapansin bukod sa ating sariling pangangamba, merong pakiramdam ng pagka-alinlangan na syang naglalapat nitong crisis sa atin?

_____

5 comments:

jang said...

Working for a newspaper makes me notice typos or wrong words easily :) (re: translation)
I think that's a good exercise for the heart, translating a piece of literature that you love into Tagalog.
Amazing that you actually chatted with someone who's actually interviewed Coelho!

katherina said...

Do help me edit anything you see. Haha. It is a good exercise. And it also actually helps me find deeper meaning in the piece of literature even more. :)

Jess said...

Hey.. I'm trying to find the source for this quote :

"As I took a breath in, I noticed that my coat smelled like stale Marlboro smoke. It reminded me first of my friend, a backstabbing, deceptive princess that everybody fell immediately in love with. It then reminded me of my grandmother, a Uruguayan woman whose always smelled of the same stale smoke. She lived a glamourous life in Europe, only to be divorced and penniless in her old age.

I wonder, if I took a menthol and smoked it, which woman could I pretend to be?


And as i googled it, i came across your blog. Can you please please please pretty please tell me the source of the quote?

katherina said...

Hi Dreamer Jess, Unfortunately I do not know the source of this quote. I don't recall it to be a Paulo Coelho quote. But I googled the ending and it led to this site you might want to check out.

http://community.livejournal.com/endiings/238514.html

She quoted it as well. Maybe you can ask her instead. :)

Thanks for dropping by!

Jess said...

haha thank you! :)