Monday, October 20, 2008

Why Do I Like Facebook?

I cannot believe that I just spent almost two hours playing with Facebook. I don't know why I suddenly got interested with this social networking site when I was pretty immersed in Multiply already.

Well people change.

But I'm not satisfied with that reason so I'll probably try to sift through my mind and get in touch with my thoughts to think about why my sudden preoccupation with Facebook came only now.

I've probably been on Facebook since last year. I joined because most of my business school friends were there. Multiply's interface still interested me more because it felt more personal with all the capabilities of creating customized themes and unlimited uploads of photos whereas Facebook would only have the plain white interface that also looked quite cluttered because of everything that was going on in your personal wall.

I just realized that my apparent interest in Facebook came to be because it aided me in sifting through certain thoughts that are in my head especially when it came to preferences. I have never been concrete about my preferences because I always thought that being flexible would give me a healthy social life. I was wrong. Not clearly being able to identify my preferences left me in social limbo and moved me into a shaky ground where I could not really understand what I liked and disliked in relation to who I am.

Facebook has all these applications and one liner story feeds that lets you describe and articulate something that is going on in your life without explicitly having to describe the actual event. It leaves no room for too much inquiry and it gives just enough information to those who want to check up on you. Mostly, despite the many friends I add and the friends who add me, I think I'm actually using Facebook to check up on myself.

It reminds me of the Captain's Log in Star Fleet Enterprise (I don't know if I got that right). Apart from a real blog or even a Moleskine Journal, I think Facebook is the blog for dummies. Those who do not have the strength to muster thinking through the clutter of thoughts that cram themselves into your brain will find an easier time spring cleaning through reveries with Facebook. Answering questions like, "What are you doing today?" makes you think if what you're doing is actually worth your while. Or "Choose your Top Friend" makes you think about the numerous list you've acquired in your network and which ones you can actually ping, buzz, text and know that they will respond to you right away. Or "Type your Favorite Artist" in My Music says practically what mood you're in if you're reminiscing, crying, headbanging or dreaming the day away.

So till the next story feed or next Sticky Note or a Random Bear Hug sent through the digital pages of this digital bulletin board, I'm spring cleaning away.

3 comments:

adi mari said...

i joined facebook for the same reason you did - the applications that reflect what's going on in me.

unfortunately a great deal of facebook applications have been completely pimped by pop culture, and any meaning that Sticky Notes or Hugs had, vanished. everyone only did it to keep activity going. i lost interest. let the requests pile up (i currently have 1000+ pending). it failed to give me the connection with people that i wanted.

but with a soul like yours scouring facebook, i think my own will go back to it. ;)

by the way, top friends can also be rearranged, and you can tag people in your photos! heh heh.

Carlo Q. said...

On with the dance! let joy be unconfined. -lord byron

katherina said...

slick, i say let everybody do their thing and most of all KEEP DOING YOURS. i suppose that's the most significant lesson i'm learning this year. people have their own thing and if we're not comfortable with OUR OWN THING we tend to get swayed and lose our touch on what makes us authentic. when we lose that everything becomes unstable. so if you like it, do it. :)

i remember again what rinka told me, "do not bend. later on people like you will gravitate towards you."