Sunday, October 19, 2008

Junk Art Pendant from Baguio

Being an avid collector of trinkets that hang around my neck, I couldn't resist this buy. It hung on a stand in the bazaar of Global Pinoy at the Cuenca Park of AAV. Generally made of turquoise and a lot of beads stuck together. Marble. Cat's eye. Ivory. A handmade pendant made in Baguio by local artists who've banded together to pursue their calling. I found it amazing that all their designs were unique. This was just one of them. It was pretty cheap (in my opinion) that such craft and handiwork would range from just 150 to 500 pesos. Considering how it's made by hand, the labor and the imagination takes time to pick up momentum. I remember stringing my own rosary beads for four hours and I felt pretty spent.

Here were people who actually do it for a living and loving it. Not only do they make these, they also hand paint their own shirts and play tribal music. I have never actually met any Baguio artisans except for my cousin Rinka. After I bought the necklace, one of them invited us to stay on to watch them perform tribal music. I've seen these kinds of performers on television but it was quite an experience to see them up close. They had their ethnic instruments with them and one of them started to play this odd looking flute.

It sounded as if I was in the midst of a dark dense forest. I could almost smell the moss on the damp earth. Then the drums started and a nose flute played. One of them sang something in an unknown dialect. His voice felt like it came from somewhere deep inside his gut. Like digging up something from the earth's soil. It was amazing. There was so much passion. The connection between all four musicians was almost spiritual.

I felt my soul unwind there for a bit. A much needed breathing space that was. There is something distinct about tribal bands and regular rock bands. The experience of connecting to a different plane like ushering the breathe of the Spirit was very much present. It reminded me of how I used let my soul breathe through music. Something I don't have much time to spare now. But I am hoping in the next few months I will.


tribal music live



2 comments:

jang said...

I used to daydream about owning a store here that sells creations by artists, say in a particular tribal village in the Philippines or perhaps by artisans in Africa, not established artists or designers. I would have them name their creation, and a little card with the artist's name and picture and the name and meaning/story behind the piece would accompany the merchandise. Also, they would get a certain percentage of the sale of the product, and it would be such that they would be getting a very fair deal, one that values their artistry and creativity, not one that treats them as just another worker in an assembly line type deal. So yes, each one would be unique. I'm so idealistic. Oh, and there will be photos all over the store of exotic places and faces. Sigh. Dreams.

katherina said...

Wow. That's a beautiful dream. And I can write all about it yeah? :)