Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Girl In The Mirror

This is a photo that I am quite proud of being in. Not because of any grand reason but because this is an attempt of someone who I am really close to, to pick up from where he left off on his artistic journey.

I like this photo because it's stolen. It's not prepared in any way. Stolen shots for me tell me that the photographer has really been observing you. Paying close detail to the moment and waiting for that unveiling of something that can be made witness to an expression, a feeling, a thought, a dream. This photograph shows me something about myself and moves that little place inside me that still remains authentic to my true nature. Vintage. Rustic. Searching. Dreamer. That I am.





4 comments:

adi mari said...

what a lovely insight and photograph. it's an extraordinary feeling when someone tangibly articulates something that you've always known, but never consciously acknowledged and named.

katherina said...

that's true. i always feel that way when i read a quote, hear a song, see a snapshot. like fragments of myself scattered everywhere and someone collected them for me.

jang said...

I actually enjoy stolen shots of myself ;) I like taking photos of other people, stealing photos of them, or making my friends pose in a certain way at times (and without them having any idea what kind of potential I see in the moment/scene). They laugh while they let me be the shutterbug that I am, but it almost always surprises them how wonderful the finished shots look. When someone does that for me, seeing the potential in MY moment, I appreciate it. I have been to two weddings this year, and I've been treated to seeing very artistic stolen shots of myself by the wedding photographers. It's very flattering to be the subject of another artist's vision-creation.

katherina said...

m, most definitely flattering. i've pseudo modeled for my friend while he was trying to build his own portfolio and the experience was transformational. given that i do not really give my physicality that much importance because of the usual insecurities, the ease i felt while my friend was shooting me allowed me to be comfortable with the kind i'm wearing at that particular moment. :) truly liberating.